Swamp Tales

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Rocks

One of the really great things about working out at the marsh was that the equipment, tractors, loaders, trucks and cats worked up the hard ground on the landing so that cool rocks were uncovered and I could find them. I am a rock freak from WAY back, my entire 44 years. So I found many cool ones out there. I found agates, jaspers and a whole lot of -'I don't know what they are, but they're cool's.
The marshes were formed when the last glaciers receded. So many of the rocks are already naturally polished by the weight of the ice and the motion of the water. Being so passionate about rocks, I really should know more about petrology. But I find I often get lost in the technical terms.
Many times at lunch break, instead of relaxing, I would be walking around picking up rocks, checking them out and filling my pockets with them. Many of my rocks look quite ordinary, but if it felt like they wanted to go with me, I would take them home. Sometimes I would find a really pretty one, and think I was going to take it, but had such a strong feeling that it didn't really want to go, that I would put it back down.
Now, surely there is some mental disorder with anthropomorhic associations with rocks and stones, but I am blissfully unaware of it. I like rocks because they are pretty, interesting, cool, or because they "feel" good to me.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger hadjare said…

    Did you ever find other stuff like arrowheads, pottery bits, jewerly, that kind of stuff? You know, artifacts?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home