Swamp Tales

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Bigfoot

Bigfoot
I saw a bigfoot near Hayward, WI in the fall of 1982. I was driving to town along Hwy. 77 about 25 miles from town. It was very lightly snowing. I stopped for three racoons crossing the road and saw something big in my rearview mirror. It looked like bigfoot crossing the highway a few yards behind my car. I turned around to look and it still looked like bigfoot. It was huge, 7 1/2 to 8 ft tall, thick and wide. I believe it was a male. It was slightly reddish brown, like Scottish Highland cattle color, only with more highlights. It only took three steps to cross the highway from shoulder to shoulder. It did not look at me. It just strode across the highway. It did not look like anything remotely related to the ape family, it walked very straight. It was not a big guy in a ghillie suit. It looked a lot more like a wookie from Star Wars than it looked like the subject of the famous Patteron video. But it was different from both. The head was flatter somehow.
There were no houses around there. I didn't report it to any officials, although I thought about it. I was not frightened at all because it ignored me completely.
A few weeks later, my ex-boyfriend walked into the bar where I worked as white as a sheet. I asked him what was wrong. He said I wouldn't believe him. I asked, "Did you see bigfoot by chance?" He acknowledged he had. I was offended that he had disregarded my own sighting so far as to completely FORGET about it. But I totally understood why he was hesitant to talk about it openly. He had seen his on Telemark Road between Hwy. 77 and the community of Cable. He saw his RIGHT in front of his car. It stopped and looked at him and then stepped off to the side as he passed. It was night, but he said he saw it clearly and it's fur was pitch black. He had seen many bears. It was NOT a bear. I knew it wasn't the same one I had seen. Mine had not been black.

Possible bigfoot
Not many weeks after that, my friend Debbie and I were on Telemark Road heading to Cable to pick up my ex-boyfriend, who'd called and needed a ride. It was dark. In the headlights we saw a pitch black bigfoot-shaped figure leap out of a huge pine tree into a deep ditch beside the road. It had to be a 35-foot drop. I was driving and had to keep my eyes on the road, and she looked but couldn't see anything as we passed right by where we had seen it leap to. I do not know what it was. I didn't see it clearly. But it was bigfoot-shaped.

Don't know what the hell it was
The most scared I have ever been during any of my outdoor adventures happened not 100-yards from my house in 1999. I was living near Neillsville, WI. It was gun-deer season. I had to work that day, so I did not go out until afternoon. I walked down an old logging road to a small knoll along a dry creek bed and three different wooded sections. Many deer trails cut through there. When I first walked up, there had been about 10 squirrels scurrying about digging in the shallow snowcover rooting for acorns. As squirrels do, they stopped their business to see if I was a threat. As soon as I stopped to stand on the rise for a while, they went back to their squirrel business.
I stood there for about a half an hour. I saw one small doe go by. I only had a buck tag. Not long after the doe passed, I heard a heavy two-footed (sounded like a big, big man) crunch coming down along the dry creek bed. I assumed it was another hunter. He was coming somewhat slowly, but not being too quiet, so I thought some of the neighbors might be making a drive. I assumed that once he saw me standing there on the knoll in bright BLAZE orange, that he would just move along as polite, courteous hunters do. That's when I noticed that the squirrels had frozen in their places. They didn't run for the trees. They were all still and quiet as a mouse. They just crouched right down where they were. I flagged on that and thought it was really weird. They had let me get right up to them before they stopped to check me out. I could not see this other hunter, although I was thinking I should be able to soon, because he sounded like he was about 50 yards away. I could still hear him moving towards me, not directly, but at an angle. I thought for the second time how strange the squirrels were, when I heard one more crunch and snap of a twig, and it stopped moving. Now, from where I heard the last crunch, snap, I SHOULD have been able to see this other "hunter." It sounded like it came from this area about 35 yards from me and "he" should have been between me and these short pine trees.
I saw nothing and no one. I was still under the impression it was a hunter. I was angry that I was in plain sight and he stopped nearby me in the first place. I was really annoyed that I could not see him, he should have been wearing blaze orange too. What kind of idiot is skulking about in thick woods during deer gun season without blaze orange on? And I was becoming increasingly unnerved that the squirrels were so frightened that they STILL weren't moving, even though a few minutes had passed since he, it, whatever, wasn't making any noise now. I guess it was right about then I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up and I started thinking maybe it wasn't a hunter. All the years I've been in the outdoors, this was the first time that I'd ever felt threatened by something. I was carrying a single-shot 20-gauge shotgun and I was wishing I had more firepower. My eyes were darting around, trying to catch any movement. I kept nervously glancing behind me. And I started doing the 'I'm scared and I'm getting shakey' thing. Not convulsing, just nervously shaking. I was too afraid to turn my back on the last place I had heard it. I was straining for ANY sound. It was silent.
And then I smelled it. It was the most dreadful, rotten meat, putrid smell. I really started shaking then. I had my gun across my arms, ready to shoot, but knowing that if I needed to, it was going to have to be CLOSE, because I was trembling, and I knew my aim would be bad.
I knew it was not a hunter. Doe-in-heat and skunk smell cover-ups are not Chanel No. 5, but no HUMAN hunter ever smelled like this unless he was dead for some time.
I stood there so horribly frightened for another several minutes, wanting so desperately to leave and too frightened to do so. I didn't want to turn my back to it, and I certainly didn't want it to follow me home, 100 yards up the trail to where my children and I slept.
And that is when, Heenjasep, my boyfriends black lab came down the trail behind me to investigate. As soon as I saw the dog, it was resolved. I would leave because if it was a creepy hunter, I HAD to take the dog back to the house for his safety. And if it was something OTHER, then the dog would protect me. So I called the dog to me. And we left without incident.
I had trouble sleeping that night. I just couldn't shut my mind off. I was off the next day, so bright and early, to face my fear, I went right back down there and walked all around checking for tracks. There were none. My tracks and deer tracks, that was it. I cannot explain that. But my experience was and is completely real to me. I invoke the unnatural behavior of the squirrels as my only evidence. I am STILL creeped out by it and have had chills and shivers just telling the tale.
I told my friend (a different) Debi about it. She is Oneida. In her experience the bigfoots are beneficial beings. In Ho Chunk oral tradition, there is a story about an old man who was injured in the woods and suffering from dehydration. A bigfoot brought him water for three days in a rolled up leaf, until he was able to gain his strength and hobble home. This happened a few miles from where I had my creepy encounter.
I logged this experience into my bigfoot memories because of the heaviness and the two-footed walk of whatever it was. But whatever it was, I bet it eats squirrels.

Marsh Sighting
I didn't see it myself. Our fancy moss-pulling machine was broken down and being fixed during a hot summer afternoon in 2001, so we were hand-pulling moss on the far side of the marsh from our landing where we pulled the full boats into. This was in the Bear Bluff area. I felt like someone was watching us and I kept looking around. My co-worker asked what was up, so I told him. He said Randolf, the older guy who worked with the tractors and end loader on the landing, was probably looking with his binoculars to see how it was going. A little after that, we decided to go in for lunch. As we got close enough to see the landing, sure enough, Randolf was standing there, looking out at us with his binoculars. My co-worker, looking quite satisfied, nudged me and said, "I told ya." I felt a little stupid, but glad my intuition of being watched was working.
When we got in to shore, Randolf walked over and asked us if we'd seen anything. None of us knew what he was talking about. We said no, what did he mean? He saw a huge, tall, upright black figure standing in the woods, not far from where we were, watching us. As soon as we left, it walked over to where we had been. Randolf hurried to his truck to get his binoculars, but it was gone before he got back. He did not know what it was, "But it was NO bear," he said. I kept asking, did he think it was a bigfoot? He just laughed and said he didn't know. We couldn't find any tracks different than ours when we went back out. We were all wearing mossing boots that made our feet appear bigger anyway. He showed us where he had seen it. Funny thing to me, that's not the direction I'd been looking when I'd felt watched.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger hadjare said…

    Man those were good stories. It was like Christmas today on your site!

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger hadjare said…

    Wait, who is who? Nicole Ritchie is Famine (obviously)....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home