Swamp Tales

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Last night's storm

Severe thunderstorms went through Monroe and Jackson counties, Wisconsin last night. The storms featured 70mph winds and hail up to two and a half inches in diameter. The first hail balls that fell at my place were golf-ball sized, then dropped down to quarter, dime and pea-sized. My co-workers reported the opposite. Theirs started out small and got progressively bigger.
I just had a few branches down in my yard. Neighbors had their cars totalled by hail, numerous windows broken, trees down on their homes, garages, sheds and vehicles. The hail decimated corn crops and cranberries. Gardens were obliterated. There were unconfirmed reports of tornadoes. It is the major topic of discussion in the area.
In Tomah, a gas pump was knocked over creating a leak. Many power lines were downed. I was without power for about five hours.
A co-worker told me how frightening it was when it went from daylight to dark in a matter of moments. Another co-worker had all his rain gutters shattered by the golf-ball sized hail. Many people could not get out of their driveways due to downed trees.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger hadjare said…

    Man, I am glad that your car wasn't totalled or that you were caught out side in it!

    And that it missed us.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home