Swamp Tales

Friday, September 29, 2006

Electric blue snake

When we were moving from one marsh to another, we had to hook the boats and drag them with the tractor over to an open area where they could be picked up by the tines on a tractor or an end loader and loaded onto the trucks. As it happens, we often had several boats that had their chains buried underneath them. We saved those boats for last by taking the easiest ones first. Two men or strong boys could pick up the front of the boats, reach under and grab the chain and get it out from underneath. Then we would use the tractor to stack one boat on top of another and haul them to the staging area two at a time.
Once when we were moving from one marsh to another, it was just me and the foreman moving the last of the boats. He was on the tractor that day. When he was gone hauling a couple boats down to the trucks, I was up in the woods using a crowbar and a block trying to fish the chain out from under them so he could just grab and go.
I was quite successful in my misson. However, there were two that were too heavy for me to trick up onto the block. One of those was upside down and wouldn't budge. So when he got back, he shut off the tractor and got down to help me. The first one of those, he just picked up the front by himself and I grabbed the chain. The second one, we had to pick up one side and flip over to right it. He hung onto the chain as we flipped it so it wouldn't be buried again. As soon as we stood it up on end, I saw the most AMAZING electric "dragonfly" blue snake, about six inches long. So vibrant and spectacular I immediately shouted for him to look. He saw it, but it was not nearly so amazing and spectacular. He is color blind. All he saw was a snake. It promptly slithered off into the tall grass. After we dropped the boat down, I looked for the snake, but it was long gone.
I have asked several people about it. Most suggested it was a blue racer. But all the pictures I have found of those are just regular blue or a blueish black colors. No spectacular, vibrant, nearly flourescent blue snakes anywhere to be found.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home