Swamp Tales

Monday, November 20, 2006

One time I got lost while hunting

Actually, I got lost SEVERAL times while hunting during deer gun season. I either found my way or figured out how I went wrong. Sometimes I had to walk until I found a road and walk along the road until I figured out where I was. But once when I was 17 and a senior in high school, I got so lost and confused, I didn't even recognize where I was. None of the landmarks looked familiar. I knew I was within a few miles of my dad, my uncles and my brothers, but I just couldn't figure it out. I kinda roamed around, listening for beeping (which they did but I never heard), trying to recognize where I was was in relation to where I'd started out.
I was in no danger. I was hunting in central Wisconsin. The weather was mild, mid 30s. I had a shotgun, plenty of ammo, a good sharp knife, matches, snacks. I knew I'd walked the wrong direction, but I wasn't sure which direction was the right one. I had a compass. But walking the direction I thought I should be walking, made things look even more unfamiliar. If you get lost, you're supposed to stay put. But I didn't want to do that.
I wasn't scared of being lost. I wasn't worried about anyone being mad at me for being lost. I wasn't afraid of bears (it was years before I saw bigfoot too), I could make a fire. I could handle being in the woods alone. What I was the MOST afraid of was-- I did NOT want my name on the news -- gone missing while hunting/ lost in the woods -- or anything like that. Another boy in a neighboring town had just been lost a few days before. He was fine. But his name and photo was blazed all over the news and I didn't want THAT to be my 15 minutes of fame, if I were to ever have one!
I was still HOPING that I'd still come out to the vehicle, or that I'd hear somebody holler or beep the horn for me. After hours of this, keeping my composure, walking, stopping and listening, it was getting dark. Damn! I was going to have to just pick a spot and stop and make a fire and stay there. I'd had some anxiety, but no real stress. Now, I was getting a bit stressed. Oh no, they're going to have to report me missing. The authorities are going to have to come and look for me. My name will be on the news. Everyone at school is going to know I got LOST and couldn't find my way out. HOW EMBARRASSING!!!
It was already past dusk. I had just enough time to get my fire together. I decided to build it right in the middle of the logging road I'd been wallking on so I could be seen if someone came. I was gathering my brush and wood. I had plenty of little stuff and there was lots of wood laying around. It was then I heard someone walking down the road. YIPPEE!!! I can ask that hunter for directions and I don't have to make a fire and be on the news!!
I said, "Excuse me," and --
It was my dad!!
Zippity-Do-Dah!!
Of course, in my relief of him saying "THERE you are.." I started crying. I had not been upset the whole time (except for the potential embarrassment) and I was so disgusted with myself that relief made me cry, but I was still happy to be found. Somehow, I had crossed a road or inexplicably gone under it and no wonder things looked wrong, I was on the opposite side of the highway from where I was supposed to be. I still don't know how I crossed the highway without seeing it AT ALL. But that sure explained why everything looked so wrong to me.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger hadjare said…

    That is all he said "THERE you are?" Man, I would have a few more words to add to that. ;)

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger Lori said…

    That's all he said. I think he'd been worried because I was gone so long, and that he was really relieved to find me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home